Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Back From Peloponnese PART 4


The forest near the beach


Kalogria Beach


The... magnificent view from Achaia Clauss


Nice barrel!


The Achaia Clauss winery warehouse


The Naupactus beach

PART 4

Hello and welcome to the final part of my travelogue about Ahaia 2010. Today I’m going to write about some miscellaneous destinations. A very short trip to another city, to a winery and to a lovely beach. Moreover, I will write about the nightlife. Are you ready?
NAUPAKTUS
We visited Naupactus during the last day of our vacation, before taking the way back to home. Naupactus is a small city in the continental part of Greece. Known for it’s sights and it’s tourist attractions, Naupactus is a good choice for families. Unfortunatelly, we were in a hurry, so I wasn’t able to visit anything special(the castle, monuments commemorating the Battle of Lepanto (1571), of which a statue of the famous writer Miguel de Cervantes can be found, A small water park just passed the western portion of the beach near Psani, the local museum and many historic sites), but I was able to take a cute photo at the beach(see above).

ACHAIA KLAUSS
Achaia Clauss is a legendary winery, notable for the production of the famous ‘’Mavrodafni’’ wine. It was built by Gustav Klaus in the 19th centure. As far as the buildings style is conerened, venetian castles is what comes to your mind when you first look at it. Battlement walls, warehouses with huge barrels(some of them contain 100years old wine! But it’s not for sale.), amazing city view and scenery and a small market where you can buy…wines of course!

KALOGRIA BEACH
Kalogria beach is the best beach available near Patras. I really enjoyed the crystal water and the forest near it(protected by the Ramsar Convention) but I was a bit dissapointed about the mayor’s negligence. There were not enough garbage cans, the showers were out of order and the changing room’s/cabin’s door was cranky. But the landscape helped to ignore all these!

NIGHTLIFE
Patras is famous for its nightlife, especially in winter when the city is full of students and the Carnival takes place. Pelecaneika, in the east side of Patras, is a nice place for a coffee or a filling meal. I also recommend the center of patras for it’s cafes and fast food restaurants. But the heart of nightlife, at least for my parents was not the center but Vrahneika, a town which could be considered as suburbs of the city. You can find taverns, sic restaurants, bars, clubs and many other! Be careful though, as some shops are rather expensive but do not deserve it! Ask at your hotel reception, buy a tourist guide and mainly, check out the prices in front of the restaurants! I hope I helped!

CONCLUSION
All in all, this trip to Pelopnnesus was a big pleasure for me. Sure, not everything was perfect but how could I complain, after visiting Kalavryta, Olympia, Mesolonghi, Patras and and and…? I hope you enjoyed/will enjoy your vacation just like me! Don’t forget to contact me for any additional info or questions! See ya!
OVERALL SCORE!
9/10

No comments: